Lemon water is a popular choice for people who are looking to avoid sugary drinks and soda. A splash of lemon in your drink does much more than adding flavor. As you learn more about lemon health benefits, you will see why it makes sense to get lemon in your diet regularly.
Benefits of Lemon for Overall Health
Why should you include the tangy lemon flavor in your water? Here are some of the lemon health benefits you can enjoy:
- Antioxidants: Lemons are high in Vitamin C, which is an important antioxidant that supports your immune system. These antioxidants work to manage the effects of free radicals that damage your cells. But when you are getting antioxidants in your diet each day, these compounds help to boost immune function and combat the damage that is occurring. It’s also been found that Vitamin C can be beneficial by reducing the risk of stroke and heart disease. The juice from a single lemon contains about 18.6 milligrams of Vitamin C.
- Alkaline pH: Even though lemon juice is an acidic drink, it has an alkalizing effect in the body. When it is digested, lemon can influence body pH levels. An alkaline environment is important for avoiding illness and disease.
- Weight Management: Certain polyphenol antioxidants in lemons might be beneficial in weight management. Early studies have shown that lemon has a positive impact on managing blood glucose levels. Maintaining low blood sugar levels can help you avoid putting on the extra pounds. At the same time, balancing blood sugar is important for reducing the risk of insulin resistance, which also decreases the chances that you will be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
- Bad Breath Treatment: Sipping on lemon water while eating a meal with strong flavors can be helpful with bad breath problems. If you are planning to eat foods such as onions, garlic, or fish, then the meal should be followed-up with a glass of lemon water. Not only does the lemon support digestion, but it also is beneficial to manage the pH balance in your mouth – which decreases the bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Kidney Health: Lemons are a great source of citrate, which is important for supporting kidney health. This compound can break up small kidney stones and reduce the acidity of urine. At the same time, drinking lemon water improves hydration, which flushes the kidneys and encourages the body to remove waste.
Benefits of Lemon Water for Skin
Not only can lemons help with overall health, but some people notice that lemons are helpful for maintaining beautiful skin. Try drinking lemon water every morning, and pay attention to the transformation of your skin over time. Many people find that increasing hydration and adding lemon can help to improve the glow and texture of their skin.
The benefits of lemon on the face are found in the reduction of dry skin, fine lines, and wrinkles. The antioxidants in lemon are also important for combatting damage from the sun, which helps to slow the progression of aging.
Benefits of Lemon Water for Digestion
Lemons are a home remedy for a variety of digestive complaints. If you are suffering from certain digestive problems, then it might be helpful to drink lemon water each day. Lemon health benefits for digestion include:
- Managing indigestion or acid reflux
- Reducing nausea and vomiting
- Improving the elimination of waste to reduce the risk of constipation
Lemon juice contains acids that help to break down the food in the stomach. This efficiency in digestion is important so your body can maximize the nutrients available from all of the foods that are eaten.
Keep in mind that lemon can be harmful if you are dealing with certain stomach issues. For example, the acidity in citrus fruits can contribute to problems like stomach ulcers. So, most doctors recommend that you avoid lemons if you’ve been diagnosed with ulcers.
How to Drink Lemon Water
If you want to enjoy the above lemon health benefits, it doesn’t mean that you need to gag down a shot of straight lemon juice. Instead, look for ways you can incorporate this habit in your life. When done right, lemons can add flavor and variety to your drinks.
Here are a few ideas if you are looking for the best way to drink lemon:
- Warm Lemon Water: Some people enjoy drinking a glass of warm lemon on an empty stomach in the morning. It takes a few days to adjust, but the warm water can be a soothing way to start the day. On the other hand, you might enjoy cold lemon water benefits as a way to cool down on a hot summer day. Experiment with the amount of lemon that you add to find the right balance for your taste buds. Some people love a strong lemon flavor, which others find it more satisfying to drink water with a splash of lemon.
- Lemon Water with Honey: If the taste of lemon water is too strong, try making a homemade lemonade by adding a bit of honey. Fill a glass with water, then stir in the juice of half a lemon with a tablespoon of honey. Add more honey to taste if you prefer a sweeter drink.
- Eating Lemons with Salt: Sea salt can also be beneficial for your health. Try doubling your health benefits by eating lemons with a bit of salt sprinkled on top. Cut lemon slices, remove the peel, and sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on top before eating.
- Lemon Health Drink: Consider adding Hana Tonic to your health routine. Not only does our convenient drink contain the benefits of lemon, but we’ve also added other ingredients that can boost your health.
Most people find that they only need a few days to adjust to the new habit of drinking lemon water. If you are having a hard time with the taste, then look for other ways that you can make it more pleasant. For example, some people find that it’s better to drink their water through a straw if they don’t like the taste of lemon.
Will Lemon Damage My Teeth?
Since lemons are acidic, be careful to avoid teeth enamel damage. You can maintain your lemon water habit and protect your teeth at the same time. For example, rinse your mouth with fresh water after drinking lemon water. Another option is to drink the lemon water in the morning right before brushing your teeth.
Simple Way to Maximize Lemon Health Benefits
Is it too much of a hassle to juice lemons every morning? If you want to enjoy lemon health benefits, consider a convenient way to add lemon to your daily routine: Hana Tonic. We understand the importance of health, which is why we are working hard to make it simple to get the ingredients that offer a variety of health benefits.
Our team at Hana Tonic has developed a proprietary blend of ingredients that are designed to support digestion, manage nausea, and more. One of the easiest ways to add lemon to your diet is to keep a travel-friendly bottle of Hana Tonic on hand. You can drink it whenever you need a pick-me-up: at home or on the go.