Are you dreaming about a beach getaway, but you don’t want to worry about renewing your passport or booking an international flight? The good news is that there are tropical destinations in the US that are easy to access and filled with fun for the whole family.
You can plan this vacation during summer break to enjoy the hottest months of the year. Or, book a trip during the winter to get away from the snow and enjoy a tropical vacation with your loved ones.
What Areas of the US Are Tropical?
While there are beach areas on both the east and west coasts, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, not all of the beaches feel tropical. For example, American families who want white sandy beaches and crystal-clear blue water will likely be disappointed when they arrive at the Pacific Coast in California. While the beaches are enjoyable in this part of the USA, the water is a little colder compared to the Caribbean-like waters you can find on the Southern Atlantic beaches.
Where in the US Is Like the Caribbean?
Florida is one of the most popular tropical places in the US without passport requirements. Most people will agree that Southern Florida is one of the most tropical places in mainland USA, with options to enjoy the beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. Or head to the West side of the state to visit beaches in the Gulf of Mexico.
Other areas in the US that are like the Caribbean include Texas, Hawaii, and even Alabama beaches on the Gulf Coast.
As a general rule of thumb, most people find that mainland destinations are cheap tropical vacations compared to the prices you would pay to travel and stay on an island. Popular mainland beaches in the USA include:
- Bahia Honda, Florida
- Destin Beach, Florida
- Folley Beach, South Carolina
- The Hamptons
- Navarre, Florida
- Malibu, California
- Clearwater Beach, Florida
- Huntington Beach, California
- Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Laguna Beach, California
- Pensacola, Florida
- Miami, Florida
- Half Moon Bay, California
- Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- Sarasota, Florida
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Tropical Island Vacation Destinations in the USA
Not only does the USA offer mainland tropical beaches, but you can also find island getaways in various parts of the country as well.
- Florida Keys
- Sanibel Island, Florida
- Amelia Island, Florida
- South Padre Island, Texas
- Maui, Hawaii
- Kauai, Hawaii
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
- Assateague Island
US Territories: Tropical Destinations
Another option to consider is to have a trip that feels international but doesn’t require a passport. For example, your family can travel to different US territories without showing passport identification, such as:
- St. John, US Virgin Islands
- St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
- San Juan Islands, Puerto Rico
- American Samoa
- Northern Mariana Islands
Keep in mind that you can visit these best tropical vacations without a passport, but they aren’t the ideal choice if you are looking for quick tropical getaways. Some of the US territories are pretty far and require a long distance for travel, which will cut into the time you can spend on the beach during your vacation. If you only have a few days for the trip, then it makes sense to minimize your travel time as much as possible – which is why many families choose mainland beaches instead.
Where Is the Best Tropical Place to Travel?
It depends on your preferences, budget, and preferred activities which beaches are the best! Here is a quick guide to help you choose the best tropical destinations in the US for your upcoming vacation:
- Begin by listing all of the places that are interesting to you. Do you want to just relax on the beach? Or are you looking for amusement parks, golf clubs, and other entertainment in the area? Write down your top 5 – 10 tropical beach destinations.
- Pick your dates so you can start looking at flights. Keep in mind that travel tends to be more expensive during the high seasons. For example, you will pay more for travel and accommodations when booking over Christmas or Spring Break.
- Set a budget so you can identify the locations that match your price range. If you are on a tight budget, plan your tropical destination during the off-season. Also, you’ll likely find that travel is cheaper when you are going to mainland tropical beaches instead of island destinations. Use travel comparison websites like Google flights to find the cheapest possibilities.
- Plan ahead whenever possible. Not only are last-minute flights more expensive, but the most affordable accommodations will already be booked. For the best prices, it’s a good idea to book a few months in advance so you can compare costs and have time to research cheap solutions.
Whether you are traveling alone or inviting friends, there are always fun things you can do at these tropical destinations. These areas are built around tourism, so they have the infrastructure, restaurants, and other details that will make your vacation enjoyable.
Where Are the Best Tropical Destinations in the World?
If you want to broaden your horizons and you have a passport to use, then consider these best tropical places to travel around the world:
- Mamanuca Islands, Fiji
- The Bahamas
- Bora Bora, Tahiti
- Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Ambergris Caye, Belize
- Aitutaki, Cook Islands
- Dominican Republic
- Andaman Coast, Thailand
- Bali, Indonesia
- Port Douglas, Australia
Tips for Managing Motion Sickness on the Water
When you are heading to tropical destinations, there’s a good chance you’ll spend at least one activity on a boat. While it’s nice to be out in the open water, boating can also be a challenge if you suffer from motion sickness. To make matters worse, motion sickness can also impact you on the way to the tropical destination – on the plane, train, bus, or car.
Hana Tonic is a convenient option that can help to keep motion sickness at bay. Keep a shot of Hana Tonic in your travel bag at all times, so you can use this quick solution when nausea, dizziness, or headaches start to set in.
Preparing ahead with travel essentials makes your visit so much more enjoyable. In addition to Hana Tonic for motion sickness, also consider other convenient items such as sunscreen, bug spray, hand sanitizer, a phone charger, a bottle of water, and extra cash. While many of these items can be found at your travel destination, it’s often cheaper to buy them at home, so you don’t have to pay tourist prices.
Hana Tonic for Your Travel Needs
At Hana Tonic, we are here to support you in having the best tropical vacation possible! Whether you are traveling to Hawaii (where Hana Tonic was founded) or any other beach destination, it’s a good idea to include ourhealth shots on your packing list. Not only can you manage nausea, but it’s an extra bonus to protect your immune system when you are away from home.
Our proprietary blend includes a variety of ingredients that help with motion sickness and overall health. We always source the highest quality ingredients and usesustainable packaging. Learn more about the many reasons why Hana Tonic is popular for vacations and daily use!