It’s a fun process to plan your upcoming vacation - the excitement is almost as enjoyable as the trip! If you are preparing for fun in the sun over summer break, a lake destination is a great option. You can splash in the water with your family and find delicious restaurants nearby, with plenty of outdoor activities for people of all ages to enjoy.
What lake destinations are on your bucket list? Here is a list of the best lakes for summer vacation tohelp with your planning.
Best Lakes for Summer Vacation
When choosing a lake destination, it’s essential to consider the proximity to your home and how much effort you want to put into travel. For example, for a quick weekend getaway, it makes sense to find a destination that is close to home. On the other hand, if you have a week or more, it might be fun to go to a lake destination a little further away.
Some of the best lakes for summer vacation in the United States include:
- Lake Champlain, Vermont and New York
- Finger Lakes, New York
- Lake Chelan, Washington
- Lake Tahoe, Nevada and California
- Lake Superior, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan
- Lake Havasu, Arizona
- Crater Lake, Oregon
- Lake Powell, Arizona and Utah
- Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin
- Lake Clark, Alaska
- Yellowstone Lake, Wyoming
- Lake Charles, Louisiana
Here are a few of the best lakes for summer vacation if you want to go on an international trip:
- Dead Sea, Jordan and Israel
- Lake Nakuru, Kenya
- Lake Como, Italy
- Laguna Colorada, Bolivia
- Phewa Tal, Nepal
- Lake Bacalar, Mexico
- Lake Bled, Slovenia
- Melissani Lake, Greece
- Hutt Lagoon, Australia
- Lac de Sainte-Crois, France
- Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
- Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
- Lake Kawaguchiko, Japan
- Lake Lucerne, Switzerland
- West Lake, China
Pro Travel Tips for Lake Vacations
A little bit of planning goes a long want to ensure that your family enjoys the time spent together at a lake destination. Consider these essential tips to ensure the success of yourupcoming summer vacation:
- Book in Advance: Everyone wants to cool off in the water during the hottest summer months. It is probably high season at the lake if you are traveling during the summer. Make sure to book your accommodations in advance for the best availability and pricing.
- Research Activities: Look online to find information about activities in the area. You’ll want to plan these activities in detail so you don’t waste any time when you arrive at the lake. Common lake activities include paddleboarding, kayaking, wakeboarding, swimming, and more.
- Meal Planning: Do you want to eat out for every meal? Or, do you prefer to shop for groceries and prepare your food at home? Research restaurants and grocery stores in the area. The convenience of food establishments can help you choose the ideal location for your accommodations.
- Packing Your Suitcase: Not only should you bring your swimsuit and warm weather clothing, but it’s also smart to have a few layers available. Lakes can get cool in the evenings, and you’ll want to have a sweater or jacket if you are chilled.