Are you recovering from the stomach flu? Do you have a long road trip ahead and know that you are susceptible to car sickness? Or, are you pregnant and experiencing nausea? No matter your situation, it is always good to have a list of foods in your arsenal that are easy on the stomach so that you can treat your body with ease during those times.
Foods that Are Easy on the Stomach
We've all heard of the BRAT diet when you are experiencing nausea or diarrhea and are in search of foods that will not make the condition worse. BRAT diet includes:
These foods are not strong-tasting, and your body does not have to work hard to digest them. But more than tolerating food during this time, which foods will help soothe your stomach?
- Ginger:Ginger contains natural elements that speed up digestion and empty the stomach quickly so that you don't have to sit with the food that leaves you uneasy. Ginger is used by many pregnant women, people going through chemotherapy, and people who experience motion sickness to treat nausea and vomiting.
- Peppermint:Peppermint oils relax the muscles in the digestive system, helping the stomach feel better and improving the conditions of diarrhea and indigestion.
- Chamomile:Chamomile tea is a comforting drink for those who experience nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. It helps to settle the stomach.
- Papaya:Papayas contain papain, which is an enzyme that breaks down the protein that you eat. It helps in promoting digestion that may not be sitting right in your body. Papayas have also been shown to help ulcers, constipation, andbloating.
- Green Bananas:Eat green bananas to help with diarrhea. Find an unripe banana to cook and eat during a bout of diarrhea. The resistant starch will flow through your body and stimulate the bowels to absorb more water and lessen the water in your stools.
- Probiotics:Yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut offer probiotics, which are good bacteria that balance out the badbacteria in your gut. When you create a balance, symptoms of indigestion will decrease.
- Clear Liquids with Electrolytes:If you are vomiting or experiencing diarrhea, it is vital to rehydrate. Sometimes it isn't easy to keep water down, so drink clear liquids with electrolytes to replenish the body's essential vitamins and minerals. Drink slowly to promote retention.
It is always good to be prepared with foods and snacks that will help you when you come upon an indigestion issue. Keep a ginger shot or peppermint tea in your handbag or glove compartment of the car. Stock your home with fresh fruit, probiotic-rich foods, and healthy drinks. Then you will know what to eat the next time your stomach is feeling uneasy.At Hana Tonic, we offer a delicious blend of powerful ingredients that help ease an upset stomach. Withginger as the main ingredient, take advantage of its properties that boost the immune system and settle your indigestion. In addition, we source organic ingredients and provide environmentally-responsible packaging to help you maintain your health on the go.